Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Software Development Processes

I used to write things to the blog, especially to arrange things I'm absorbing when I'm working. Last weekend I took some time to browse about software development processes and this blog post is about summarizing them into a note for later references.

Waterfall model, CCMI, Agile, Extreme Programming, SCRUM, Lean, FDD, are they just words?? , those are not just words when it's come to the software development processes. It's not all about software development; they can be applied for other industries as well.

As I can remember, when we were having discussion about implementing a process in our company, people were talking about why don't try SCRUM instead of Agile?, Why don't we try agile instead of XP. Truly I had no clues to popping up any ideas about the processes, because I knew I had to talk if I had good idea about them only. I was exposed to such good software development processes in my life but I was not worried to learn more about them till to this point.

What's software development process?

Found a definition for "Software Development Process" from Wikipedia

"A software development process is a structure imposed on the development of a software product. Synonyms include software life cycle and software process. There are several models for such processes, each describing approaches to a variety of tasks or activities that take place during the process."

What's the meaning of Software Development Process Framework?

Framework, the word itself insisting us that, you have something implemented for you and all you have to do is extend it to support you environment. Core, Concept, Idea, Initiative, Guidelines, Suggestions are already there, we just extend it to adapt into custom environments.

Each and every organization is supposed to have their own process to manage their projects (Or their day today works). But defining a process from the scratch is not going to be a simple task. All we need is to extend already well defined, proved process framework in our environment.

Waterfall model, Spiral model, agile, SCRUM, XP, Lean, DFDM, FDD, Crystal they all are process frameworks.

Regards

Lakmal

No comments:

Post a Comment